1000 steps taken.

... quite literally.

Slightly more than a month ago, I took a trip out of the city to Clayton to stay the weekend at Rin's place :) We had both signed up for the 10km run for the Melbourne Marathon and she was determined to push me to my limits such that I ran the entire 10km without stopping. More on my 10km run in another post ;) 

We had a "bootcamp" we organised for the weekend before the official start of the mid-semester break. It comprised of a run and a trip to the 1000 Steps at the Dandenong Ranges. I had always wanted to travel to the 1000 steps but never really knew how to do it via public transport. I soon realised that the journey to the 1000 Steps was a lot simpler and easier than I had expected. If you're not planning on driving there, you could always take the train to Upper Ferntree Gully Station. The walk to the start of the 1000 steps is a mere 10-15 minute walk away. 

Anyway, my original idea upon visiting the 1000 steps was to enjoy the scenery and take a leisurely walk all the way to the top. This was also a day after having run 5km (which on hindsight is really short in comparison to the 10km that I ran) and so my thighs were aching. 

However, once we reached 1000 steps I found out to my horror that Rin had other plans... The plan was to climb all the way to the top without stopping. I was not mentally ready for this. My mental strength is very weak. 


Rin was smart. I told her I would go last because I was slow but I promised that I won't stop at all costs. So, like all coaches she told me to lead the group up the climb. I wasn't too glad when this decision was made, I mean this means that there was absolutely no way of escaping. Not only that, there was the added pressure of me having to stay at a certain pace just so I don't end up slowing the group down. 

Eventually, I made a short pause less than thirty steps to the top. Mental game was weak, but I assure you it was worked on over the course of the few weeks leading up to the 10km. Main point was I made it. 

What was most inspiring for me were the couples who carried their babies on their back whilst walking up. There were also people who wore those jackets that contained weights inside. I don't know what the device is called, but it definitely made the journey up harder. Some were timing themselves, others were simply there for a hike. Either ways, what a beaut it was to have nature at your fingertips like that to exercise! This is why I love Australia so much. There's an abundance of nature available with plentiful types of activities to do! 

Took a stroll up the mountain after the climb.

After our climb, we had time to kill whilst waiting for our bus so we decided to walk around the area to see if there was food to eat. The bus only arrived every hour considering how it was a weekend, so we decided to have a slow and relaxing lunch whilst waiting. 


We came across this lovely vegetarian restaurant and were quick to decide on eating there. Personally, I think I could live as a vegetarian once I master the art of cooking delicious vegetarian meals. I've had some mock meat and it tastes similar to the real deal. Either ways, my point is that vegetarian meals are some of the most delicious meals in the world and I really need to discover more of such places. 




Because this took place more than a month ago, I cannot remember what we ordered :( All I can say is that everything we had was delicious and I'm certain it's not just because we were famished. The nachos were the highlight of the meal. It was a special the restaurant was having that day, and the veggies and dip they made was superb!!! It was so rich, tangy and full of flavours! I'm salivating just thinking of it now. I really do think the more colourful the dish is, the more flavourful it is too. 

I can't believe this actually took place more than a month ago. Time has gone by so fast!! :( 2015 is soon coming to an end. Time to reflect on what the year has been for me so far. Hope you've had a lovely weekend! :)

xx.

No comments