#Thoughts: Friendship

During one particular parent-teacher meeting organised by my primary school in which I was present, my mother asked my form teacher during her turn if she felt that I was mixing with the right crowd. I was only twelve back then, and having this question asked in my presence was something I did not expect. I recall my teacher responding honestly, saying that I had to be careful not to be too easily influenced but that I had a healthy mix of friends in my circle.

Throw forward to 2015, and I look back at the friendships that I've made and it's one of those moments where you just sit down and feel thankful for the people who've taught you so much. Now of course, the four you see in my above collage are just a few out of the many who I treasure, but these four are significant to me because of some of the lasting values they've taught me. Still, when comparing the friends I had back then at the age of 12 to the people I've met now, I now understand why my parents were so worried for me. The friends I had back then weren't terrible people, rather their priorities were not one that rendered good influence.

I've always believed myself to be a good-natured person, although I don't deny that there are ugly bitchy sides to me as well. These are sides I don't agree with even personally, but it is then that the good people in my life bring me back to reality and remind me to be more humble, positive and patient. They say your friends are a good indicator of the type of person you are and I would like to think that my personality doesn't speak for the beautiful people my friends are. However, the good sides of me are definitely the product of the people who're in my life.

I think your friends ultimately should be the people who continuously aspire you to reach for your dreams and goals, and should be the people who are there to support you through your good and bad decisions. I've come to realise that the people I love dearly are those whose happiness is my own and vice versa. They are also the people I know I can tell my opinions comfortably to if I don't agree with them on something and there's no argument through the sharing of these thoughts. We may agree to disagree, but we value these judgments and take them into consideration without harshly judging the other for it.

Good friends are hard to come by, and today I'm just really thankful for all those who are here to stay. I don't necessarily speak for the future because we never know what life will be like once marriage comes into play, but as Olaf says: "Some things are worth melting for."

xx.

No comments