Les Miserables

I grew up loving the arts, and musicals have always been the top on my list of "things I would starve for". The very first musical I watched was a local production about cats (which I unfortunately forgot the title of). I think I was 8 years old at that time, and it stirred within me an interest in wanting to learn how to sing and dance. My parents on the other hand thought otherwise of this and were not supportive of me entering this field. I don't hate them for not giving me that opportunity because I understand their reasoning behind it, but it doesn't make me wish and wonder what it would have been like for me if I had been able to chase that dream. Is it too late now at this age to even consider it as a career? Anyway I digress, let me get to the point of this post :)

Considering how much I love musicals, one of my ambitions is to be able to watch every musical on my list. It would be a bonus most definitely to be able to watch all of them on Broadway, but one must be both practical and rational in her ambitions. 

When I was six, I remember sitting down in the living room at my grandmother's house with my aunt. I was too young to comprehend her obsession at that point in time, but I remember her watching a DVD and replaying this one song over and over again whilst writing the lyrics out in her notebook. She would cry too while she was doing this. The only thing I remember is memorising this song even before I knew where it came from and the story behind it. Any guesses as to which song this could be? It was On My Own (on hindsight my aunt may have been going through an emotional period, it definitely would have explained why she felt a deep connection with that song)

Since that day, I learnt about Les Miserables and I grew a desire to watch the musical. It only ever toured Asia once, and that was before I was born. The movie starring Hugh Jackman was the closest I had ever gotten to watching the musical but it only created more damage than good because all I wanted to do then was to watch it live on stage. 

As if by some strange coincidence, Les Miserables was set to tour in Australia this year. What are the odds that I would be studying in Melbourne of all places at a time when they were set to tour?? I still remember the excitement I felt a year ago when the news broke out that they were set to tour in Oz.

Happiest night :)

On the 11th of October 2014, I caught Les Miserables for the first time with my friend Eileen at Her Majesty's Theatre in Melbourne, Australia. I can now say that I have watched the musical of my dreams, and the experience was everything I expected it to be. Laughter and tears were both expressed during the show, and now I wish someday to be able to experience it on Broadway. May Les Miserables never lose its message, and I sincerely hope that it will last for many decades to come. 

To love another person is to see the face of God.

I'm a happy girl filled with lots of emotions at this point. The soundtrack toys with my feelings that way.

Have you caught Les Miserables before? What is your favourite musical? 
Hope you've had a lovely weekend as I did ♡

xx.

No comments