RIP Lee Kuan Yew.

Source: Pinterest
I contemplated writing this post over and again for various reasons. However, I felt that I needed to address his death and give respect to this man who moulded and shaped the beautiful country I call home.

Before I begin, please, to anyone who may be reading this post (Singaporean or not), please know that there is no political intent behind this post. With all the posts that are coming up online - both good and bad - I just merely wanted to express my feelings towards his death. 

I grew up in Generation Y. I was old enough to only remember Goh Chok Tong as my Prime Minister. At that point in time, the late Lee Kuan Yew was the Minister Mentor for the country. However, I definitely grew up learning about Lee Kuan Yew and the contributions he did for the country. As a child in primary school, these pieces of information were too much for me to process. My inability to understand political lingo disabled me from fully understanding the extent of the history of Lee Kuan Yew and Singapore. So like a child that is taught what is left and right, I accepted the fact that he had to be respected because he had sacrificed a lot for the country.

Growing up, my family was never one that discussed political issues. Neither did we ever complain or compliment the government. The only time the government came up was when new policies were made. That said, within my family some of us share different political views. We don't force one another to agree with our views on certain issues. Neither do we force one another to support a particular political party. My understanding of the government and its political ideologies were shaped from my personal education as well as debates and discussions I had watched and had with my peers. 

However, as I grew up I learned some things about Lee Kuan Yew that I ultimately did not like and at some point wish I never discovered. Some decisions he made in the past questioned my respect for him. The wall that had separated the child and adult in me was broken and I now realised the reality of what it really was. I questioned why he carried them out. As the say, you can't make quick judgments when it comes to politics without reading from a wide spectrum of articles. I had to carry out my own research to at least try to understand why he did what he did.

Source: Google Images

At the time this happened, I was in high school. By then, I had been given the opportunity to take up leadership roles. It was through this that I came to realise that being a leader is no easy feat. One is not born a leader but rather moulded into one. Your beliefs make you the effective leader you are but above all, choosing the make the right (albeit unpopular) decision is another. I was a leader in my school, Lee Kuan Yew was a leader in a country. The impact of the decisions made in parliament weighs so much heavier than the ones I ever made in school. I respected him, and slowly began to understand why he may have carried out those unpopular decisions in the past. He was not perfect, but his tenacity, passion and willpower towards a brighter future for Singapore is something that cannot go unnoticed. At the end of the day, I now have a home that provides me with security, opportunities as well as a vibrant culture that makes it uniquely Singapore - my home. 

Ultimately, everyone faces death. The mistakes he may have made towards people in the past is not for me to judge but is between him and his Creator. As a human being, I mourn his death and am terribly saddened by his departure. The world has lost one of their best leaders. The context in which he led my country may not have been similar to other notable world leaders across the globe, but he definitely was a man that deserves every ounce of respect that comes his way.

***

When I was 10 I found a book in my school library about Lee Kuan Yew. It was a book that described his past, from childhood to prime minister. It was a simplified and illustrated version for children. But one thing was for sure. I knew then and there that there was no reason to not respect him. A man who treats his wife like a Queen and who loves her so dearly as he did is a man of great character. That in itself spoke great volumes of him. 

Source: Google Images
‘For reasons of sentiment, I would like part of my ashes to be mixed up with Mama’s, and both her ashes and mine put side by side in the columbarium. We were joined in life and I would like our ashes to be joined after this life.’ (Source: The Sunday Times , October 2, 2011)
Thank you Lee Kuan Yew. Your contributions to the country will definitely be shared to the generations to come. I am honoured and grateful to have lived when you did. You have taught me so much as a leader and for all that you have gone through, I will always respect you. 

Source: Google Images
May you rest in peace.

No comments